Sarah Best Contact
Born in Williamsport, Pennsylvania in 1980.
- BA, 2002, Gallatin School of Individualized Study, New York University, magna cum laude, Albert Gallatin Scholar.
- Continuing Education: Hyde Park Art Center (photography). Goat Island Performance Group, Morganville, Sprung Physical Theater, Redmoon Theater (performance.) Lillstreet Arts Center (embroidery).
- Graduate coursework, 2002-03, University of Chicago.
- High school, 1997, Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Arts.
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
- Filmmobile Film Series (Film Screening). Co-Presented by Echo Park Film Center and Dances Made to Order, Los Angeles, CA, September 7, 2012. Co-curated with Kingsley Irons and Cari-Ann Shim Sham.
- Chicago Dancing Festival: MOVIES (Film Screening). Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL, August 21 2012, 12noon-8pm.
- Dance Films Kino. (Artistic Residency). At Hyde Park Art Center, co-presented by Hyde Park Art Center and Links Hall, Chicago, IL, March 4-25, 2012.
- Creatives at Work Forum: Curating Across Disciplines. (Panel Discussion). At Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL, October 20, 2012.
- Chicago Dancing Festival: Movies (Film Discussion). Chicago Cultural Center, August 26, 2011. I introduced 5 feature-length movies for the Chicago Dancing Festival’s inaugural program of dance on film.
- Dance Films Kino: The Short Films of Lucy Cash. (Film Screening and Discussion). Hyde Park Art Center, February 22, 2011. I produced a screening of filmmaker Lucy Cash’s work and facilitated a discussion of her work with her collaborators, alumni of Goat Island Performance Group.
- Artifice // Artifact (Photography, group show.) Cobalt Art Studio, Chicago, IL, January 2011. Collaboration with Ira S. Murfin, which combined my photography and his text to create an artificial narrative.
- Dance for the Camera (Film Festival). Chicago Cultural Center, October 2012; October 13-15, 2010; October 13-14, 2009; October 28 & 30, 2008; October 24-25, 2007. From 2007-10, co-curated with Jan Bartoszek.
- Sarah Best: Daily Photos. (Photography, solo show.) Paperboy, Chicago, IL, April 24 – May 30, 2010.
- Sarah Best: Daily Photos. (Photography, solo show.) Antena Gallery, Chicago, IL, February 19 – March 20, 2010.
- Daily Photos on Your Cell Phone. (Photography / Interactive Media.) January 1-7, 2010. I sent a photo every day for seven days to 75 individuals nationwide to create an intimate but shared experience in celebration of the New Year.
- Links Hall 30th Anniversary. (Curated Film Screening). Chicago, IL, October 3, 2009. I curated a screening of dance on film by Links Hall alumni for Links Hall’s 30th Anniversary Celebration.
- “Coney Island (small banner)”. (Embroidery). 2009, commission for Achy Obejas.
- “What would you take with you on an expedition?” (Installation / Performance.) The Science of Obscurity, a Poetry Foundation Printers Ball event at Jupiter Outpost, Chicago, IL, July 10, 2009. Collaboration with David Emanuel.
- The Lastmaker, (Writing.) Chicago, IL, 2007. Contributed writing to an early version of Goat Island’s final performance, and to The Last Performance, a text-visualization project created by Judd Morrissey.
- “Simultaneous Landscapes” (Installation /Performance), Version<06 (arts festival), Chicago, IL, 2006. Collaborated with Irene Hodes, Ira S. Murfin, Brianne Waychoff and David Emanuel. Invited visitors to interact in various prescribed and improvised ways with elements of real and imaginary landscapes.
- Dancing in the Park (Curated Site-Specific Dance Performances in Millennium Park); Link Up (Remounted Production of Performances by Links Hall’s LinkUp Artists); AbonDANZA! International Dance Festival (Curated Dance Performances); and About Dance (Dance Discussion Series). Contributing Curator, Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) Dance Program, Chicago Cultural Center, 2006-10.
AWARDS & RESIDENCIES
- Artist in Residence, Hyde Park Art Center, Spring 2012.
- Fiscal Sponsorship, Links Hall, 2011-12.
- Chicago Seminar on Dance and Performance grant, 2008.
- Community Arts Assistance Program (CAAP) grant, Department of Cultural Affairs, 2006.
- Herbet K. Rubin Creative Writing Award, New York University, 2002.
VISUAL ART PRESS
- “Art + Design: The 642 Things to Draw Challenge“. Patti Quill, Chronicle Books Blog. (2011)
- “Pondering the Universe at Antena Gallery.” Review. Carrie McGath, Chicago Art Magazine. (2010)
- “Pocket Pix: Chicago Area Photogs use iPhone camera, applications for art.” Hermine Bloom, Columbia Chronicle. (2010)
- “In an Instant.” Emily Reimer, University of Chicago Magazine. (2010)
- “Top 5 Weekend Picks“. Stephanie Burke, Bad at Sports. (2010)
- “Five Things to Do on February 19,” Time Out Chicago (blog). (2010)
- “Cell Phone Photography is SO 2010.” Kelly Reaves, Gapers Block A/C. (2010)
- “Coney Island“, floresita, feelingstitchy.com. (2009)
CURATORIAL PROJECTS PRESS
- Sarah Best Curates Chicago Dancing Festival Movies Program, Shari Schmidt, Chicago Now.
- Screen Dances Marries Film and Dance, Christy LeMaster, 848, WBEZ 91.5 FM (Audio)
- Last Minute Plans: Man With a Movie Camera, Chuck Sudo, Chicagoist, March 2011.
- Man With a Movie Camera: A Best Bet for Thursday, Time Out Chicago Out & About Blog, March 2011.
- Man With a Movie Camera: Critic’s Pick in Time Out Chicago Dance, March 2011.
- Man With a Movie Camera: Critic’s Pick in Time Out Chicago Film, March 2011.
- Man With a Movie Camera: Reader Recommended, Chicago Reader, March 2011.
- “Five Things to Do on Tuesday,” Time Out Chicago’s Out & About Blog, February 2011.
- “Dance Film Screening and Talk: Lucy Cash: Critic’s Pick“, Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago Dance, February 2011.
- “Screen Dreams: Dance for the Camera surveys the subconscious.” Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago.
- “Five Things to Do on October 12“ Time Out Chicago Out & About Blog.
“Et si on faisait une reading cure?” Marie-Odile Briet, L’Express (France), April 4, 2011.
- Tapping into geo-location, Monica Ginsburg, Crain’s Chicago Business, July 25, 2011.
- How 5 Brands are Mastering the Game of Foursquare, Jennifer van Grove, Mashable, April 2, 2010.
- Explore Chicago With Foursquare, National Geographic Traveler Magazine & National Geographic Intelligent Travel Blog, March 2010.
- Photos from the Daily Photos series are featured on the websites of Chicago Public Radio, Chicago Reader, Chicago Art Magazine, Columbia Chronicle, Bad at Sports, Gapers Block, and Chicagoist, 2009-10.
- Dance Journalism, Time Out Chicago, 2006-2008.
- Try Less Hard. A zine ( artist’s book) created in collaboration with David Emanuel, 2006.